Many of us suffers from Aches (Pain) and Stiffness at some stage of our life, the most common disorder which affects the movement particularly in the most productive period of life is low back pain, out of which 40% of patients suffers from severe pain which comes under the Umbrella of Sciatica-Syndrome. With the advancement of busy professional and social life, improper sitting posture, over exertion, jerking movements during traveling and sports; increasing tendency of computerization and also because of increasing body weight, mental stress creates undue pressure on the spinal column and play an important role in producing Low Backache and Sciatica.
Sciatica is defined as an inflammation of the supporting tissues of the sciatic nerves of the leg. This condition is characterized by a pain running from the Lumbar (lower back) region to the back of the legs. Sciatica pains felt in either one or both of the legs, are usually experienced after the age of 30, and go on aggravating as the age advances.
In General, our unhealthy lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits are responsible for various Joint disorder and other problems associated with our Bones and Muscles.
Sciatica is the largest and longest Nerve (one reason the Sciatica Nerve causes so much pain) found in the Human Body, its starts in the Lower Back and further it is found in whole Lower Limb till foot. These are 2 in number and formed by the reunion of L4, L5, S1, S2 and S3 spinal nerves.
Sciatica is not a Disease or nor a condition, although it is a bunch of symptoms which include pricking pain, Numbness, tingling sensation and weakness that starts from the Lower Back and radiated to Buttocks and Lower Limb till foot.
Hereby Sciatica is general term of pain originating from the Sciatica Nerve. Thus, it is symptom of disorder that causes mild to sharp and sometime excruciating pain
(Note – Some research shows Patients has described Sciatica pain as mildly disturbing to burning, aching deep and similar to sudden bolt of Lightning)
Etiological Factor of Sciatica Pain…….
- Compression of Spinal Nerve due to rupture Vertebral Disc in Spine region.
- Faulty posture such as Slumping on a chair or Sleeping in the curved position
- Injury that hurts the Lower back region can be triggering cause of Sciatica Pain.
- Contraction of the Piriformis Muscle (Small muscle located deep in Buttock region; condition called as Piriformis Syndrome) which may lead to strangulation of nearby Sciatica Nerve.
- Severe Low Back Pain condition causes Sciatica, Including….
- Bulging Disc or Herniated Disc (Most Common Cause)
- Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD, also called Aging Process Disorder)
- Pregnancy (Due to extra weight and pressure on spine lead compression Sciatica Nerve)
- Spinal Stenosis (Space become narrow in passageway of Sciatica Nerve in Spine)
- Spinal Tumours and Spinal Infections (Very Rare)
- Spondylolisthesis (Vertebral slips cause pinch the Sciatica Nerve)
- Trauma (Accidental like Pelvic Fracture)
- Osteoarthritis and Osteoporosis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Dysfunction of Sacro-iliac Joint.
Common Symptom’s like ……
- Chief complaint or symptoms is radiating pain from the Lumber Region to Toe(Foot),it may vary from mild to severe, Worsen on sitting, standing and even in Lying Position.
- Tingling and pricking needle like sensation
- Muscular Weakness
- Difficulties in Leg and Foot movement
Diagnosis can be done by the Physical Examination, Neurological Testing and Patient History, Medical Test include as……….
- Blood Examination
- -ESR Count
- X ray, CAT (Computed Tomography)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
- Abdominal – Pelvic Ultrasonography
- Urine Examination – Routine and Microscopic
- Physical Examination is Straight Leg Rising Test, most applied diagnostic Test, considered Positive if pain in the Sciatic Nerve is reproduced between 30 to 70-degree passive Flexion of the straight leg.
Ayurvedic Concept with Management
In Ayurveda literature, Sciatica symptoms known as Gridhrasi(Gridha means Eagle), Sciatica is considered to be caused due to impaired digestion. A faulty digestive system causes the build-up of Ama (Toxins) that accumulate in the minute channels of the body.
- Ayurveda further added this ‘Ama’ is become responsible factor for aggravation Vata Dosha(One of Principle Dosha in the Body, responsible for Movements and Function of the Body) and sometime Kapha Dosha( Responsible for Lubrication and Body Fluid) vitiation along with Vata Dosha( Called Vata-Kaphaj) also caused Sciatica.
- Ayurveda is specialized in treating Sciatica with highest treatment success rate. It offers excellent Panchakarma therapies along with internal medicines for treating Sciatica.
- Treatment in Ayurveda is aimed at restoring the equilibrium through correction of the underlying functional in-equilibrium. Ayurvedic treatments for Sciatica concentrate on bringing back the aggravated Vata and Kapha Dosha to the state of equilibrium and thereby to the state of health.
- In Ayur Healthcare, Treatment comprises of three approaches, Shodhanam (Elimination) of the accumulated toxic products of Digestion, Metabolism and the Disease process, Shamanam (Pacification) and correction of the entities responsible for altered functioning and Rasayanam (Rejuvenation) of the bodily tissue to regain and maintain natural strength and vitality.
- The strength of Ayurveda in the area of spine and joint treatments is globally appreciated. Since it addresses the root cause of the issue the results are fantastic.
- Ayur Healthcare provide proper screening of patient and Therapies like.
- Abhyanga (Medicated Oil Massage)
- Swedanam (Hot Fomentation)
- Pathrapottali Swedan (also called ‘Ela- Kizhi’ fomentation, sudation, steaming treatment)
- Sarvangadhara (Pizhichil, A rejuvenation and Revitalization Therapy)
- Vasti or Kati- Vasti (Kati Vasti involves specially prepared warm herbal oil being poured over the lower back and retained inside the black gram paste boundary for the required duration. This therapy alleviates lower back conditions like lumbar Spondylitis, Inter Vertebral Disc Prolapses, Lumbago (Low Back Ache), and Sciatica). Most important procedure in Ayurveda to treat Sciatica Permanently.
- These Therapies are directed towards relieving the inflammatory changes and underlying causes of Sciatica, releasing the spasms and nerve compressions in the affected area, strengthening and nourishing entire spine & supporting tissues. Usually the treatment period is 3 – 5 weeks according to the severity of the disease.
- Ayur Healthcare have experienced the best treatment success rate in treating Sciatica cases including post-surgical recurrence.