There are glands that control various hormonal secretions and stimulation. Hormones are magnificent – small molecules hovering in the blood and signaling some huge functions of the body like Reproduction, Growth, and Development. Hormones are chemical messengers that send signals to the brain, heart, bones, muscles, and reproductive organs and control their activities by positive and negative feedback systems. They’re absolutely essential to the functioning of every cell in the body. Hormones are produced by glands of the endocrine system. The majority of hormones secreted and control by the following glands–
Hypothalamus is a centre for various nervous activities where a variety of stimuli act and produce various hormones. There is also a negative feedback system that controls hormone synthesis and releases through the hypothalamic-pituitary-target gland/tissue axis. Negative feedback system commonly operates through the axis i.e. Excess of target gland hormone i.e. Thyroxine, Cortisol, Sex hormones inhibits both the pituitary and hypothalamus. It is a vital center for appetite, thirst, temperature regulation, and sleeping/ walking. It plays a role in maintaining circadian rhythm, menstrual cycle, and sleep cyclicity, and responses to stress, exercise, and mood.
The pituitary gland is also called the master endocrine gland because it secretes a large number of hormones and controls and coordinates various other systems of the body. The pituitary works with Hypothalamus in a synchronized manner.
Measures to sustain the secretions of Pituitary Gland-
-Regular cleansing and detoxification of the body
-Use of Rasayana Therapy
-Regular use of Panchkarma modalities
Use of herbs like – Pipalli, Ghee, Ashwagandha, Giloy, Tulasi, Ginger, Garlic.
Secrets thyroxine hormone
It controls the general metabolism by regulating the rate of oxidation and production of energy and maintaining the BMR of the body.
Thyroid hormone promotes the growth of body tissues and the development of mental functions during infancy and childhood.
Hyperthyroidism– it is a clinical syndrome that results from exposure of body tissues to an excess of circulating free thyroid hormones resulting
-weight loss in spite of good appetite
-high resting pulse rate
-tremors in hands
-loss of hairs
-loss of libido
-Excessive watering of eyes
-outburst of anger
Hypothyroidism: A clinical condition caused by low levels of circulating thyroid hormones resulting in symptoms-
– Periorbital edema
-hoarseness of voice
-slow pulse rate
-aches and pains
-dryness of skin
Measures to sustain Thyroid hormones
• Panchkarma practices
– Abhyanga massage – udvartana -avagahana -purgation -Medicated Enema
• Rejuvenation and detoxification of the body
• Regular practices of Yoga and pranayama
• Dietary principles of Ayurveda- use of Yava (Barley)
• Herbs like: -Triphala -Arjuna -honey -Musta -vidanga -Chitraka -Sunthi -Amalaki -Haritaki -Shilajatu -Yavani
Testosterone, Estrogen, and Progesterone are the three main sex hormones. Estrogen and Progesterone are majorly female sex hormones and are responsible for various functions in females. Due to disturbance of these sex hormones females having problems like
Menstrual irregularities (more or less menstruation), Painful menstruation, Prone to vaginal and cervical infections, Painful sexual drive, Vaginal dryness, Infertility Polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD)/ syndrome (PCOS), Miscarriages.
Ayurvedic measures for sustaining female hormones
• Very specific diet during menstruation
• Treatment according to any gynecological ailment
• Maintain intimate hygiene
• Consultation with Ayurveda physician for INFERTILITY and PCOS
• Detoxification from Panchkarma
-Nasya therapy -Uttarbasti -Yoni prakshalana (Vaginal wash) -Yoni Dhupanan (vaginal Fumigation) -Yoni Picchu (vaginal oleation)
• Use of Herbs like -Satpushpa -Ashoka -Haridra -kumari -shunthi -Shatavari -Bala -jiraka -castor oil
In Males – Loss of Libido, Sleep disturbances, Premature Ejaculation, Scanty Semen, Infertility, Poor quality of Sperm, Erectile dysfunction, etc.
Measures for males to improve their testosterone functions:
-massage with oils
-Steaming from Herbs
-herbs like- -Ashwagandha -Pipalli -shatavri -musli -ghee -use of jaggery -Shilajatu -Gokshura
Almost half of the population is suffering from the adverse effects of Hormonal imbalance. To maintain hormone balance and normal functioning of glands Ayurveda gives various lifestyle and dietary measures that should be followed. There is available treatment on both general and specific according to the hormones.
General measures to sustain the balance of hormones:
Note: All the advised practices always start after consultation from an Ayurveda expert because everyone has a different body type and according to that there are variations in the measures to be followed.
-Take proper diet
-Regular exercise or Yoga
-Daily practice of pranayama
-Take wholesome food (According to Ayurveda principles)
-Go for seasonal detoxification of the body
– Emesis, Purgation or Basti karma, Errhine therapy, etc
-Daily massage and oleation from specific oils in consonance with the season and body type of individual.
• Full body massage • Foot massage • Akshitarpana • Pizhichil • Shirodhara • Shirobasti • Nasya therapy
-Daily steaming of the body from various Ayurvedic herbs
-Udvartana (powder massage)- especially for overweight persons
-Females should follow their diet and herbs during their menstruation phase as advised by the Ayurvedic Professional.
Our AYUR HEALTHCARE, SYDNEY, we have a list of Ayurvedic experts who having expertise in various fields of healthcare.
Alarming signs of Hormonal Imbalance
Hormone levels of hormones naturally fluctuate at various life stages, most noticeably during puberty and in women during the menstrual cycle, pregnancy, and menopause. They can also be affected by lifestyle and certain medical conditions.
But the most important is to notice any signs and let them checked out by a qualified healthcare or Naturopath professional so that you get a specific treatment, whether that involves using medications or various Panchkarma therapies, or making lifestyle changes advised by Ayurveda expert, to restore the balance of Hormones that leads to your good health.
Few alarming signs and their methods to be adopted for mitigation
Insomnia and poor-quality sleep:
Both males and females are affected by sleep disturbances. But the poor quality of sleep due to imbalanced hormones are common in females due during perimenopause and menopause, the ovaries gradually produce less estrogen and progesterone, which promotes sleep. Falling estrogen levels may also contribute to night sweats which disrupt your sleep, contributing to fatigue and lack of energy.
Things to do:
• Balanced diet
• Yoga and pranayama
• Purgation therapy for cleansing
• Head massage with specific herbal oils
• Foot massage
• Nasya therapy
• Herbs like- Ashwagandha, Brahmi, yashtimadhu, sankhpushpi etc
Mood swings and Headaches:
Persons having problem with Thyroid hormone and sex hormones commonly suffer from mood swings which can sometimes be unmanageable or problematic for surroundings also.
Things to do:
• Lifestyle changes
• Medication for the specific hormone ailment
• Regular exercise
• If the disease is in the primary phase- then must go for Panchkarma and complete Detoxification of body at qualified Ayurveda center.
• Meditation plays a key role to maintain mood swings.
• Relaxation therapies – ShShirodhara, Shiro-abhyanga, foot massage, Nasya therapy, pizhichil, Avagahana, full body massage, and steaming with relaxing herbs.
Weight gain (Unexplained):
A number of hormone-related conditions can cause weight gain including an underactive thyroid (when your thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormones which regulate metabolism), polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) (a hormone-related problem causing small cysts on the ovaries), and menopause (which results in hormonal changes that can make you more likely to gain weight around your abdomen).
Things to do:
• Take proper treatment for the underlying cause (that can be from a conventional physician or Ayurveda physician)
• Follow dietary pattern suggested by your healthcare professional
• Use of barley and Mung in the diet is good (for recipes of Barley & Mung dal, contact-Ayur Healthcare, Sydney)
• Udvartanam (Powder massage) is highly effective
• Langhana (10 principles for dietary control)
• Herbal supplements like- Vidanga, Arjuna, Varuna, bhibhitaka, musta, lodhra etc
Skin problems: most common is Acne
At the age of puberty, there is heavy hormonal changes take place both in males and females. Males started with the growth of beard and mustache whereas females having menstrual bleeding. But during this period both males and females suffer from acne on the face. Chronic adult acne can be a sign of low levels of estrogen and progesterone and high levels of androgen hormones and can also indicate polycystic ovary syndrome. Similarly, hormonal imbalances during pregnancy or menopause can cause itchy skin while dry skin is a symptom of menopause or thyroid problems.
Things to do:
• Diet -Perfect wholesome diet must be followed (According to your Bodytype)
• Regular physical activity- exercise, games, yoga, etc.
• Use of Rasayana therapies advised in Ayurveda
• Face massaging
• Various oils or powder of herbs for face to increase tone and complexion
• Use of Herbs for cleaning Blood as advised by Ayurvedic experts.