Overweight means weight above what’s considered Healthy, often measured by using Body Mass Index (BMI). Generally over weight condition is referred as ‘Obesity’.
Overweight is defined as a BMI of 25 or more, it includes Pre-Obesity defined as a BMI between 25 and 30 and Obesity as defined by a BMI of 30 or more. Pre-Obese and Overweight however are often used interchangeably, thus giving overweight a common definition of a BMI of between 25–30.
[Note – BMI is a measure which takes into account a person’s weight and height to gauge total body fat in adults. Someone with a BMI of 26 to 27 is about 20 percent overweight, which is generally believed to carry moderate health risks. A BMI of 30 and higher is considered Obese. A BMI of 25 to 29.9 is considered overweight.]
Obesity or being Overweight is a condition characterised by excessive storage of fat in the body. When the body’s calorie intake exceeds the number of calories burned, it leads to the storage of excess calories in the form of body fat.
-Proper Obesity treatment reduces the risk of many critical conditions such as Heart disease, Liver damage, Diabetes, Arthritis and Kidney problems.
-Aetiology of Overweight or Obesity….
Excessive weight gain prime cause is when people consume more calories than the body needs and most commonly due to eating a diet high in fat and calories, being sedentary, or both. This imbalance between calories consumed and calories burned, however, can also be caused by a number of different Obesity-related factors such as Genetic, Hormonal, Behavioural, environmental and, to some extent, cultural factor also include.
There may be other cause for overweight condition, to provide precise, root-cause Obesity treatment, all causes and symptoms are evaluated by Ayur Healthcare doctors.
-Increased body fat
– Breathlessness on exertion
– Lethargy, Fatigue
– Excessive sweating with bad odour
– Palpitation during mild activity
– Hormonal Imbalance, High BP, sometime Cardiac issue etc.
– Loss of Libido, also called Sex Drive, relationship issues, Stress or Tiredness, but can be a sign of an underlying medical problem, such as Reduced Hormone Levels.
In Ayurveda literature, the human body is body made up three constitutions, which is also called as Basic Humours called Vata, Pitta and Kapha (three subtle energy of human body).
-Among them Kapha Dosha is responsible for Overweight and Obesity. In Ayurveda this is consider as “Sthulya”.
-According to Ayurveda, Kapha Dosha is responsible for Strength and Immunity. It also provides the basic substratum to all the tissues of the body. Biological fire humour or Pitta Dosha is responsible for Digestion and Metabolism and Biological air humour or Vata Dosha is responsible for all the movements- Gross and Subtle in the body.
-In order to balance these subtle energies, it is first important to identify the Dosha which is in imbalanced, and then accordingly select the Panchakarma therapy to treat the condition from roots.
– Obesity is known as Medaroga(Disorder of fat tissue), which is caused by the aggravation of Kapha. Kapha Dosha property explained as Dense, Heavy, Slow, Sticky, Wet and Cold in nature. It governs all Structure and Lubrication in the mind and body apart from controlling weight and formation of all the seven tissues – Nutritive fluids, Blood, Fat, Muscles, Bones, Marrow and Reproductive tissues.
-So, Ayurveda believe in balanced state of Kapha Dosha gives Nourishment to these tissues through various micro channels and when it is aggravated, Kapha leads to production of toxins in the body.
– Ayurvedic Physician of Ayur healthcare state that in the case of an obese person, toxins accumulate in Medovahi Srotas (Fat channels), thereby leading to an increase in the production of fat tissue (Meda Dhatu). When the body produces more fat tissues, it causes an increase in weight.
-Ayur healthcare mainly focus on pacification of Kapha Dosha in case of Obesity or Overweight and this can be done by eliminating Kapha-aggravating foods from the diet. Next, the treatment also focuses on cleansing of the Medovahi channels through cleansing Herbs so that excess weight can be reduced.
-Ayur Healthcare provide proper screening of Patient and advice Diet and lifestyle tips which highly beneficial with the management, some general advice as follows.
– Avoid high carbohydrates like polished rice and potato.
– Avoid oily and fried foods, processed foods, fatty foods like butter, purified butter, cheese, whole-milk yogurt, cream, chocolate, etc.
– Have more bitter vegetables like bitter gourd and the bitter variety of drumsticks.
– Replace refined flour with whole-wheat flour and rice with brown rice or parboiled rice.
– Increase intake of fruits, salads and vegetables.