Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune inflammatory joint disorder effecting >1 joint symmetrically. According to Australia National Health survey (NHS) 2014-2015 more than 2% of the total population of Australia are effected with rheumatoid arthritis.In classical Ayurvedic texts the features of Rheumatoid arthritis mostly resemble with the disease ‘AMAVATA’.
What causes Rheumatoid arthritis…?
Improper dietary habits,stress factors, genetic predisposition etc. factors causes disturbances in one’s own immune system and the immune system destroys the synovial joints mostly the smaller joints in the body like joints of fingers,ankle joints,shoulder joints,wrist joints etc.
Features of Rheumatoid arthritis:
- Stiffness of the joint in morning hours
- Pain in multiple small joints
- Swelling of the effected joint
- Redness at the site of inflammation of joint
- In chronic condition of Rheumatoid arthritis structural changes of the joint are also observed.The most common change is deviation of fingers laterally called swan neck deformity.
Rheumatoid arthritis in Ayurveda :
All the features of Rheumatoid arthritis can be well correlated to a disease mentioned in Ayurvedic texts as AMAVATA.
- The word ‘AMA ‘ gives the meaning toxin.
- According to texts of Ayurveda all these toxins are produced within body mainly from the improperly digested food materials due to poor digestive fire in one’s own body.
- The toxins in long run slowly tend to mix with slimy content of the body called Kapha.
- Ama,kapha together vitiate the dominant dosha of bone tissue Vata.
- All three combinedly gets deposited at joints and manifest into Amavata causing shoola (pain at the effected joint),shotha (swelling),stabdatha (stiffness of joints),Gourava (heaviness of body),Agnimandhya (low digestive fire).
Benefits of switching to Ayurvedic treatment :
Ayurvedic treatment helps in curing the disease right from root level by acting at very basic level of disease manifestation and in eliminating the toxins from the body without any adverse effects.
One stop solution for Rheumatoid arthritis at AYUR HEALTH CARE :
Ayur healthcare gives a perfect Ayurvedic holistic approach in treating the disease with perfect guidelines to lifestyle modifications under expertise Ayurvedic medical practitioners.
- The basic level of treatment will be planned with every detail of individual,right from assessment of prakruti (body constitution),Nadi (pulse diagnosis),Mala (bowel movements),Agni (digestive fire),Satwa (mental health),ahara-vihara (diet and life style) etc.
- All the assessments and examinations will pave the way for treatment plans by Pinda sweda (pouch massage), Ama pachana (elimination of toxins) with detox plans, improving digestive fire by herbs etc. Depending on chronicity of Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Light and easily digestible food having high content of fibre and protein are recommended as a part of daily routine food.
- Ginger, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, honey, pepper, cinnamon are best to stop relapsing of symptoms and keeps the gut healthy too.
- Stress factors should be under check by adopting yoga, pranayama, meditation. Therapies like shirodhara (continuous pouring of warm oil at the centre of forehead),regular relaxation massages with aroma oils makes the stress hormones get neutralize.
All the treatment plans and dietary advice will be changed according to the chronicity of the condition and degree of symptoms from individual to individual and that is taken care by consulting our expert Ayurvedic doctors at Ayur Healthcare.